Friday, 21 October 2016

Revision tips and techniques...

Hey guys,

So this week has been full of my Y10 Mock exams, which means I have been revising constantly for the past few weeks. Over these past few weeks I have discovered new ways that have helped me revise for my subjects. This has given me the idea to write a blog post about different revision tips and techniques. My revision tips and techniques can be used for any subject so I tend to do the same thing for each of my subjects.

First things first, "tidy space creates tidy mind". Clean your bedroom, office or wherever you are studying. It is impossible to concentrate in a messy environment so spend a short time cleaning your room by putting any litter in the bin and removing any dirty laundry from your "floordrobe".

Once you have cleaned your space, grab a snack, preferably fruit, and a glass of water. Put them on your desk and then you can begin to revise.

1)     Mind maps - Mind maps are one of the most beneficial ways of getting everything you need to know in one place and ready to memorise. I usually put the topic title in the centre or characters names from a play or story then I branch out of that with mini titles. Then off of them mini titles I write an explanation of them and any key quotes or evidence. Then I keep reading over and over them until I remember them. You can also add illustrations to help jog your memory too.

This is my mind map for my English "An Inspector Calls" paper

2)     Flash cards - Flash cards are another great way to remember key words or equations. On one side of the flash card I write the key word or question and then on the other side of the card I write the definition of the key word or answer to the question. Then I either get my friends or mum to read the word out and ill read the answer out or I read the key word myself and try and read the correct answer out without looking.

These are some of my hand written flash cards 

These are some flash cards I printed off of Quizlet

3)     Have a folder - Personally I have a ring binder for all of my subjects just for revision. In each folder I have a list of key words for each topic (so for example in my business folder I have a list of my 1.1 key words, 1.2 key words etc) this way you have all of the important key words and definitions in one place. Then in the folders I have lots of past papers to practice answering them. I also have any other pieces of paper that might help me like my mind maps and keywords list.

This is my keywords list that I printed from Quizlet

4)     Past papers - I  cannot stress enough to you guys how much past papers will help you. By practicing past papers you get the general idea of the types of questions that they could ask you. You never know, you might practice a question that could actually be in your exam so you will already no how to answer it to the best of your ability.

5)     Watching YouTube videos - Now, when I say this I mean educational videos. By watching these videos you might learn a new way of doing a technique which could actually help you when it comes to your exam. YouTube videos are also a great way of learning a topic that you are struggling on. So usually what i do is that if I didn't understand something in my lesson, I would write down, either in my school planner or on a piece of paper, what parts I am struggling on and the when I am home I will find a YouTube video on that particular topic and watch it to help me get a better understanding on that topic.

6)     Planners - I have 2 planners. I have a school planner and an Erin Condren planner. Everyone in my school has a planner that gets provided by them and we have to use it and then get our parents to sign it at the end of every week. We use it to keep track of our homework and we write our timetable in it at the start of every year. However, I don't like my school planner as it looks plain and boring so I have purchased an Eric Condren Life Planner. In my planner I write down my subjects and my homework. I also use it as a kind of revision time table so I write down when my exams are and the write what I will revise on what night.

This is my Erin Condren Life Planner

7)     Revision guides - I love revision guides because it has everything that you will need to know in your exam. What I do is a highlight any keywords that are in there and transfer them onto revision cards or turn them into mind maps. The best thing to do with revision guides is to read over them again and again until it sticks in your brain. These are also good for when you might not understand something in your lesson and you can just go home and read over that particular topic.

8)     Revision posters - These are something my teachers let us do in our revision lessons, which is a lesson we usually have before our exam. On these revision posters we put on the most important facts and cover the page in illustrations. These are good for visual learners as it will help you when trying to memorise certain points and topics.

Here are a few links for different revision resources and websites:

Revision Guides
Erin Condren Life Planner
GCSE Bitesize
Teach ICT
Quizlet
MrBruff Revision YouTube Channel

Well there you go, my best revision tips and techniques. I hope you found this blog post useful!

Question of the day:
Do you have any other revision techniques? If so leave them in the comments to help myself and others out!

Bye for now, GemsBlog x x x



No comments:

Post a Comment